Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Oh, Canada...

I’m not entirely sure what it is about this new apartment of mine, but I can’t seem to stop baking. Yesterday, while ferociously kneading away at the fragrant rosemary bread dough that I will soon be posting pictures of, my lovely roommate asked me if I was trying to bake something new everyday. I wasn’t trying to, I realized… I just… was.

I’m starting to think it’s the comfort of this beautiful kitchen. The Christmas lights we turn on to ease into the evening with… the ever-expansive collection of herbs and vegetables lining every inch of the place that is touched by sunlight at some point in the day… Or maybe it’s this unpredictable spring weather that makes baking such a comfortable, reliable source of happiness, when the feeling of sunlight feels as distant as it does on my skin.

I don’t know what it is, but my roommates are happy, and I feel at home here.

I actually have a couple recipes up my cute new blazer sleeve, but will try my best to not give them all away at once. I have to control myself…

This recipe is from a delectable cookbook called Simply in Season (correction: the recipes are delectable, not the book itself). It’s super easy, and they turned out wonderfully. In fact, I just ate the very last one while writing this. If you happen to be uber-Canadian and have some maple butter lying around, PLEASE lather some on. Seriously heavenly.

Maple Walnut Scones in 3 Easy Steps

1. Thoroughly combine 3 ½ cups flour (I used whole wheat and they turned out delish), 1 cup finely chopped nuts, 4 tsp. baking powder, and 1 tsp. salt.
2. Cut 2/3 of a cup of chilled butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs (I had no idea what this meant –turns out it’s just a fancy way to say “keep flattening the butter into the mixture with a fork until it’s crumbly, as opposed to just stirring it in)
3. Stir in 1 cup of milk and ½ a cup of maple syrup. Work into soft dough and knead 5-6 times. Roll out until it’s half an inch (ish) thick, and cut into 10-12 wedges. Bake on greased baking sheet for 15-18 minutes at 425/220.

0 comments:

Post a Comment