Friday, December 13, 2013

Completely Unfestive Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

The November 1st-to-some-time-mid-January-if-it's-a-good-year period has always been a tumultuous one for me. While the holiday season does bring about The Grinch (though really, only the first half ever got played in my household), and Elf Yourself (my favourite online tool), it also brings about the inner child in me, to whom December 25th was just a day when everyone else woke up ready to unwrap presents, and the only establishments left open were movie theatres and Chinese restaurants. Not a bad evening, I must say, but just shy of enough to compensate for all I felt I was missing out on. As I grew older, I started to appreciate the warmth of the Holidays, chosen families, an excuse to bake with reckless abandon and hand-deliver the results to those I love and care for, and of course, the coziness of being inside, preferably with a bottle of wine, when the snow hits the ground -and simply doesn't stop.

So it is with that clear sign of growth that I bring you what may *appear* to be a christmas-themed baked good, with hints of green poking out from toasted pistachios, and rosy red cranberries, but surely is only celebratory of all else that red and green represents. I'll let you know when I think of what that could be.

Cranberry and Pistachio Biscotti

1/4 C oil
1/4 C white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 eggs worth of egg replacer
1 3/4 C. flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c dried cranberries
1 c de-shelled pistachio nuts, chopped (or smashed)

1. Preheat oven to 300 F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
2. In bowl, mix together oil, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract. Then add egg replacement, mix well
3. In a larger bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Slowly add oil mix
4. Add in cranberries and pistachios and mix by hand
5. With wet hands, divide the dough into two halves, and form two logs on cookie sheet
6. Bake for 35 minutes, or until lightly browned, let cool for 10 minutes
7. Reduce oven heat to 275, and cut logs on a diagonal, laying pieces on sides.
8. Bake another 10-20 minutes, or until dry. Let cool!

0 comments:

Post a Comment