Monday, June 20, 2011

Dream Job...

It's summer. I'm in Montreal. I have an awesome internship, and can take all the hot yoga I want for free. I feel like a very lucky girl these days.

BUT even more so -I feel lucky because a couple weeks ago, I sent an email to someone who has my dream job,and she wrote back!

Meet Jennifer Chen, VegNews editor:


Juuuust in case you don't know me, and you've never experienced the awful(ly wonderful) squeals that come out of me when I receive a new issue (or buy one early because I just can't wait) - you should know that VegNews is my faaaavourite magazine. And Jennifer Chen writes for, and edits it. Swoon.

So I sent her a couple of questions, which she graciously answered on her own blog, which you can see here.

And she even agreed to answer a couple questions for my blog!

So here you go! An adorable peak into the life of magazine writer and young adult author Jennifer Chen:

1. When was the moment you realized/decided you wanted to write for a living?

Gosh, since I was a kid. At 16, I wrote in my journal that I wanted to be a writer, fall in love, and travel to Europe. And I'm happy I've done all three. When it was time for college, I only applied to writing schools. I think for me it's the one thing that's made sense in my life, if that makes any sense.

2. Where do you usually get your writing done? Do you have any interesting or quirky rituals you’ve developed throughout your career?

After many years when I didn't have an office, now my husband and I have an office apart from the rest of the house to get writing done. My hubby is a TV writer and comic book and graphic novel writer. So one of us is always working in the office. But before I had any of that space, just a desk in my bedroom wherever that was. The best place I ever got my writing done is an amazing women's writers residence called Hedgebrook (http://www.hedgebrook.org) where I got to spend two weeks in the woods writing in a little cabin and being fed amazing veggie meals. I encourage all women to apply there. As for interesting or quirky rituals -- probably just keeping a schedule and planning out my writing dates so I get my work done.

3. Any funny stories to share about working in an all-veg environment?

Gosh, it's been great to work somewhere where I can bring in a green juice or crazy big kale salad, and people don't look at me funny. I'd have to say we have several dogs in the office and nothing makes me laugh harder than hearing Khane, a small 10-pound Chihuahua snore like air is getting let out of a balloon while I'm trying to edit at my desk.

4. If you could only eat one vegan/vegetarian meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

That is way too hard! Okay. Right this very minute I would have to say Patxi's vegan deep-dish pizza in San Francisco. It makes life worth living.

5. Can you tell us about a project you’re currently working on?

Outside of my job, I just finished a book proposal for a photography book I'm co-authoring, which hopefully I'll hear back about soon. I'm writing a draft of the first book in a young adult series that I've been dying to work on. I loved Sweet Valley High and Babysitters' Club so it's been my dream to write my own YA series some day so that's what I'm doing right now.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

QUICK BUDGET UPDATE: I think I'm going to make it! In case you missed it a few posts ago, I'm seeing if I can work a $100 budget for the month of June. We're 2/3 through the month, and I'm 2/3 through the budget. All I can say is that it is TOTALLY doable! Deets to come at the end of the month, when (hopefully) I've made it through without any splurges (almond butter....)!

0 comments:

Post a Comment